بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَـٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Dear parents, we all wish to make most out of Ramadan by fasting and praying. Do we as parents ignore our children in this month? Or, would we prefer to see our children experience the sweetness of Ramadan? Ramadan is the month of fasting. Would you like your little ones to fast this Ramadan? Please read and decide-
IS IT COMPULSORY FOR THE CHILDREN TO FAST?
FASTING IS NOT COMPULSORY FOR YOUNG CHILDREN UNTIL THEY REACH THE AGE OF ADOLESCENCE.
Though fasting is compulsory on every able-bodied person, there is no sin on children if they don’t fast.
RIGHT AGE TO START FASTING:
While a fixed age is mentioned for prayer, no specific age is mentioned as to when fasting becomes COMPULSORY. (It is obligatory on reaching puberty) Few scholars have defined it as the age of ten years.
Every child is different. Child’s ability to fast is to be judged on the basis of his/her health.
WHY SHOULD WE ENCOURAGE OUR CHILDREN TO FAST?
We as parents, we are responsible to instill the love of Allah and Islam in the young one’s heart. When it comes to schooling we would teach them a little more just to see them fare better than others. Don’t early tuitions help children to stand out in the class? Insha Allah likewise fasting at an early age will also help children to grow into obedient Muslim with ease.
Our children are entrusted to us by Allah SWT. It’s our responsibility to mold them into good Muslims.
The companions of prophet used to make their children fast. Though no sins will be recorded at an early age, good deeds are certainly recorded! Help them kick-start their good deeds record this Ramadan.
Here are additional reasons to encourage them to fast:
- When fasting becomes mandatory (on reaching adolescence), children will find it easier to fast. They’ll be accustomed to fasting.
- Even if they break their fast mid-way, they are not accountable.
- Once they are able to fast, it boosts their confidence. They show better self-control when they are hungry.
- Children are easier to mold in the earlier ages. Let’s face it, it is difficult to command a teenager.
- Insha Allah, we parents will also be rewarded for teaching our children to fast! Alhamdulillah.
So, what could we do help our children fast with ease? Here are some of the tips which helped my son fast in Ramadan.
For tips and more please visit Muslimah Bloggers.